D&D Thursday 24 February 2011, Ride Report.- Pierre

25 Feb

Thursday 24 February 2011, Ride Report.

We started at the Moo Mall just after 19:00, hoping for some more riders to pitch up, but there were only 7 riders. Was it the weather or the Cricket that scared the other riders away? Nico was going to lead the pack and Oupa Gert was on sweeping duty.

We set off leaving the mall to do some 35 km ride because it was a Mild2Wild route. So we take the route along the new road that they are busy building to Botha Ave.

That was fast and a little bit muddy but we managed to get through it. So we were off the do Wash & Go, come the wash &go we couldn’t find the road that leads to the drop off next to the railway line (Because of all the rain the grass was long) after a couple of minutes Nico found the route and off we went. It was a little bundu bashing because we could not see where we were.

Next we went in to wash & go where we rode through some muddy pools of water that were there because of the earlier showers we had. Next we were heading for the Python that was much fun because we were only 7 riders and it was like a speed zone at the time.

Next we take the route past the Cement factory all the way back to R21 where we went under the R21 to the other side. There we set off to go all the way almost to Olifants road. There we went into some farm land and realized that we had done 18 km and we needed to head back.

So we went all the way back like we came but we took the difficult road back with lots of loose sand and little rocks, so there was a little drifting going on till we got back next to the R21. We did some fast downhill with Nico setting the pace. Then we took the route along side the chicken farm were we hit some single track. At the beginning of the single track there were two big rocks on each side of the track that almost caught out some of the riders. One rider did manage to hit the rock but nothing serious.

Then we did a little bit of singe track and we hit some jeep track. There was some mud and water again because of the earlier rain shower. This is where I earned the right to write the ride report.Mark was in front of me and I think he thought there was some water or mud that he could not go through so he hit the brakes. And I also hit the brakes.And my bike slid so I tried cleating out but was too late ,so I did like a Moto GP/Superbike fall were the bike was still attached to my legs, luckily there was some grass on the middle of the road. But Clinton saw the whole fall from the back. Next I picked up the bike and we went on. After a couple of meters Mark also almost hit the ground but he was fast enough to cleat out. So we made our way to Shebeen Queen and half way down we took a Right to go up the Hill that leads to Light at the end of the Tunnel. So we got a little uphill to climb and almost at the top Nico bought a piece of land. His Chain got stuck almost at the top. So we stopped at the top of the Hill and waited for everybody to get back together. So we made our way down and at the gate where you turned right to go to Light at the end of the Tunnel we turned left to go to Rietvlei Nature Reserve. So we took the road all the way to the tar to Entrance of Rietvlei Nature Reserved. So we were aiming for the Moo mall and almost out of the bush and onto the tar just in front of the Engen Garage, Clinton (roadie ninja) also buys some land. So we got on the road and hit the road to the moo mall.
Pierre Du Preez

(Casper White Merida Hardtail)

Leave a comment

Posted by on February 25, 2011 in ride report


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s